Sunday, March 16

Fast Food Fashion

In the March issue of Metropolis, "Revenge of the Slow" describes a local foods movement as it goes global with a networked rather than hierarchical model. The essay explains how the Slow Food movement's appeal and even marketability relies on the scarcity of authenticity.

Which got me thinking....about fashion. Recently inspired by an ever expanding collection of vintage and used clothing stores on Burnside (PDX), I headed to Anthropologie where I could buy wearables with that shiny sheen in the right size, no effort required.

Cognizant of the premium I paid on the convenience/new factor, I rationalized that I no longer have the time to invest in sussing out the thrift scores or making the modifications that would get the fit or make the feel, just right. Am I being practical or a sucker?

thrift score or fast food fashion?
I'm down with spending money on how I dress, it's become a habit, and I believe a wardrobe reflects a personal expression of creativity. But how does this jive with my interest in making actions align with values? When I consider all the bummer aspects of clothes made in China, I have to wonder, is this okay?

There is a trend afoot that is all about upcycling–that is, giving repurposed clothing a new life. It reflects a diy mentality that I embrace but don't make the time to practice. How do I walk the talk of a networked, collage-oriented belief in how I dress? And what is a fair price for my desire that it be ready to wear?

No comments: