Saturday, April 22

Was I delirious?

At the risk of turning this into a blahg, I will let you in on a little secret. I haven't been feeling so hot lately. I'll spare you the details, for now, but mention it due to what I thought I saw on the only three english-speaking television stations we receive here on the flanks of Awbrey Butte.
Evening programming began as it frequently does with the Lehrer Report. At the 8 o'clock hour, we continued on our beloved PBS binge. Little known fact: Mas is a friday night aficionado of public broadcasting. I find it extremely endearing that he will sacrifice a social opportunity to check out what the wonks are saying on Washington Week. My precious angel! look, an artist's rendition of Mas!
Again, things started out normal. There was even an Austin Powers offering for the other friday night wallflowers vying with PBS fare. Then, programming took a strange turn around 10p.m.

Austin Powers ended & the new local FOX news started up. Were these deleted scenes from the deluxe DVD set? Nope. That's our Central Oregon News with an uber-fake background of a... sunset? The anchors are not the amateurish twentysomethings you might find on the other local news. No, these two are in their sunset years (hence the background?) but still stutter and interrupt one another with tremendous frequency. This banner is directly off their website...nothin' too fancy for those high desert folks.

When it got too painful Mas, still in command of the remote, switched it back to good ol' PBS. There was no Gwen Ifil, Jim Lehrer nor even Dan Elias...There was a cat pageant. Cat Pageant? I will probably step on some toes here, many bloggers seem to have a soft spot for the feline but, this was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. First of all they splay the poor creatures out to show off their form. Is it me or did I sense that maine coon cat was feeling somewhat exposed by her sprawl for the camera? When it got too much, I shamed Mas into turning the station.past winner Best In Show

There was no respite on NBC. It was the Miss USA Pageant. Mas was hopeful that it was new the format a la American Idol where the viewers call in and judge. I quickly dismissed him pointing out that the "new" concept will take at least another year to make it on the air. An aside: mehopes reality tv will die of an Atkins heartattack by then. No, this was the same old recipe save for a little queer eye guy to keep the audience interested.

So now it was shuffle time. We laughed at the weather manbot as he delivered a canned feed from the "weather center". We guessed where such a center might be.

Me: Mars!
Mas: Uranus!

Back to the cats. Look at the fancy fabric on their wire cages...Ugg. Too Strange. Turn it.
Now, Miss Kentucky is finishing up her speech by stammering about how political correctness has gone too far. And the beauty of it? She wins!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one ugly-ass cat!

highdesertsultan said...

oh my

oh my indeed